Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Real Me

Over the past 3-4 years, I have traveled with a series of events that have altered my life so prophetically that I can hardly put into words.  But, with all said and done, I can say I am a better man for it all.  Let's put it in short, easy-to-understand, chronological terms:

Got a new job in the private sector.
Moved out of DC with the love of my life.
Hated the new job in the private sector.
Missed my friends in DC.
My music style got severely crimpt.
End my relationship (no love there!).
Got a hugantic house in Maryland to prove I didn't need love to be happy.
I wasn't happy.
I met some cool friends.
I got a new job back in the public sector.
I started learning things that had been happening behind my back over the last couple years that blew my mind. (GAWD was I blind. Trust your instincts folks.)
I went to massage school to follow a personal goal I had.
I met some awesome, life-long friends.
I learned how to relax.
I relaxed.
My job got stressful - the people fought with each other, and I got blamed for just being in the room.
I continued to relax.
I graduated massage school and got licensed.
I stopped relaxing.
I met someone.
I got much less relaxed.
I opened up more to my brothers. 
I relaxed a little.
I moved back to DC - relaxation went OUT the DOOR.
My job, as much as I love the work, became more babysitting hostile behavior than actual work.
I fell in love with DC again.
I had a nasty confrontation with my aunt.  Apparently, my communication to her was too positive to believe.
I got more stressed.
I reconnected with my DC friends.
I was yelled at and called mean things by my client (not the first time, but the first time with curse words).
My team's week-long efforts were summarily dismissed and I was disrespected by a wave of hand.
I walked out saying only that "I dealt with more disrespect in the last 24 hours than the last 15 years of my career. I had had enough.
I had the first full-night's sleep in over 4 years.
I am relaxed.

So, my pets, there are a lot of sentences (all?) starting with I and My up above, but I will admit that I have come to one conclusion, as self-focused as it sounds.  I have good, proved skills that can be appreciated in many capacities.  I have made new, honest, and true friends over the last few years that would (I believe) be there if I ever need them (as would I for them).  I have found it difficult, but imperative that I keep an optimistic view of my goals and future.  I feel in my bones that there is something great to be accomplished - if not by me, something that I can help to accomplish.  I'm at a place in my life where I can be complacent and settle for the side of the road, or continue onward and see what's around the bend.  I want to know what's ahead, my friends, and I think now's the time to build a fence to what's behind me and move on.

I love you all! Much peace of the road ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment